A 74-year-old man worked for years in factories and on farms using gaskets, pumps and valves manufactured by three different companies. He had no reason to suspect that these products were dangerous, but they were ultimately what led to him developing mesothelioma, a deadly form of cancer. The products the man was using were made with asbestos.
Many buildings around North Carolina were built using products that contained asbestos. So even though it was not widely used after the 1980s, it still exists in many homes and buildings today. It is in the roof, the insulation, plumbing and even floor tiles. But too many property owners assume that asbestos poses no threat if it is not undisturbed. But there is still a very serious risk associated with having asbestos on a property.
Long before asbestos makes it way into our homes, office buildings and construction materials, it starts in a mine. And when it comes to mines like the one in Northern Vermont, it can still pose a threat to people and the environment even when it is inactive. Recently, the state filed a lawsuit against the Vermont Asbestos Group, who owns the mine, looking to recover the costs of preventing the asbestos in the mine from being released and cleaning up the damage that has already been done by the toxic mineral.
Making money and generating a profit is generally the top priority for business owners. They want to find cost-effective solutions and save money where they can. However, some employers take this desire to make money to dangerous levels by engaging in practices that end up putting their workers and others in danger of getting hurt or sick.
Living or working in a building that you do not own has a fair share of perks. You don't have to worry about code violations, cleaning up spills on the site, fixing broken equipment or dealing with complaints from tenants. However, there are a fair number of building owners who do not take these and other ownership responsibilities seriously and their negligence can end up seriously hurting those inside the building.
The dangers of asbestos and the health risks of being exposed to the toxic fiber are well known. Unfortunately, people think that the risks of exposure are rare and isolated instances involving industrial workers from decades ago. But the reality is that asbestos continues to be a risk to people all over the country, whether they work or live in areas that still contain asbestos.
Many people often consider a school to be among the safest places for young people to be. We generally expect that these buildings are built and maintained properly by people who understand how important it is to protect the health and wellbeing of young children and staff members inside. However, a recent discovery in a school shows just how dangerous these buildings can be if they are not maintained appropriately.
Mesothelioma is an especially deadly form of lung disease which results when an individual has been exposed to asbestos materials and fibers. In many cases, those diagnosed with mesothelioma have only months to live after a formal diagnosis is made. While death is swift, most individuals impacted by this deadly lung cancer suffer tremendously towards the end of their lives.
Readers of this blog need no reminder that asbestos is a dangerous and even deadly material. Exposure to this once-popular insulation material can cause a number of serious medical conditions including mesothelioma.
The risks associated with exposure to airborne asbestos are clearly understood. People generally know that breathing in asbestos can do irreversible damage to someone's health, which is why business and property owners are expected to take certain precautions when there is asbestos present.