People who are diagnosed with mesothelioma or asbestosis have been exposed to high or concentrated amounts of asbestos at some point in their lives. Many years ago, asbestos was used widely and an average worker was not aware of how dangerous it could be to come into contact with it. Now, many of these same workers are suffering from work-related illnesses because of the negligence of their employer. The symptoms of these diseases can decades to be identified, so tracking the source of exposure can sometimes present a challenge.
Asbestos was once used frequently for insulation and for wrapping wires. Since it was found by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to be dangerous to human health, the substance was banned. Exposure to any amount can lead to serious lung problems. Negligence during building demolition and renovations can happen anywhere, including North Carolina, leaving workers and businesses liable to the devastating consequences asbestos exposure can have on people.
Unlicensed asbestos-removal companies across the country may want to pay attention to the sentence recently imposed on a man who was convicted of exposing people to asbestos. The 59-year old man owned and operated a company that performed illegal and dangerous asbestos removal and disposal projects.
A number of students at a Merced County, California high school were exposed to the potentially harmful material asbestos and school officials did not urgently act on the matter - in fact, they took their time.